Either that, or it's his first taste of vegetables and he's not sure what to think. And he demonstrates that uncertainty by making faces (which are absolutely hilarious) and gagging noises (um...not so hilarious).
So, on the recommendation of his doctor, Garrett's a solid food man. Or baby. Whatever. It's been a bumpy road, full of experimentation as we've tried to find a balance between solving the reflux problem without inducing the constipation problem. Now we thicken half of his bottles with rice cereal (because he likes it, even though it plugs him up) and the other half with barley (he's not a big fan, but the fiber has changed him from One Who Keeps It In to One Who Poops Freely). We also spoon feed him something once a day. Up until this afternoon it was just rice or barley cereal prepared with pear juice, but we decided that today would be as nice as any to venture into the world of vegetables. Garrett disagreed, wholeheartedly, but if we left the decision of his diet totally up to him, he'd be eating nothing but pear juice, sips of ice water, and licks of chocolate ice cream.
This last week I also broke down and filled his Zantac prescription. He was hurting, and I needed a break from the screaming. And oh my, can I just say -- he is a changed man. Or baby. Whatever. I like Zantac Garrett much better than Heartburn Garrett.
I think we'll try the peas again tomorrow, see how it goes. After that, I'm not totally sure what to do. Does he by nature just dislike peas? Or is he like his Mama and just resistant to new things?
***
And now for two other noteworthy, though otherwise totally unrelated, items of business:
1. They turned on our radiators today. Hooray for warm apartments! We celebrated (or perhaps it was just a case of coincidental timing) by inviting some friends from our ward over to eat apples dipped in caramel fondue. Delicious.
2. Garrett's laughing has moved to a new level. Today during nursery he was sitting on my lap as the nursery kids were gathering for singing time. Garrett was watching them pretty intently, and then all of a sudden he started laughing. Just on his own. Laughing and laughing. It was so funny. I know our nursery kids are pretty silly sometimes, but I didn't think that Garrett had caught on to that fact yet.
16 comments:
I remember the first time we gave The Nephew #1 peas. IT WAS SO HILARIOUS! :)
PS, your baby is a doll!
I know I was a picky baby--that didn't change until college, and still there's things that I just am not willing to try.
I don't blame him for not liking peas. Any right thinking individual would have faces of disgust ;-)
Kids are picky. When he's 5 he'll have a small list of foods that he'll eat.....and nothing else.
ewww... I don't blame him. I hate peas too :)
Glad that the Zantac is helping. I can't imagine....
Hee! Love those baby faces! And I love baby laughing, too. And yay for Garrett the Carrot this week!
I am so glad that the Zantac seems to be working. Poor little guy. Maybe he'll like sweet potatoes? That is the only veggie Shaylie would eat forever. The joys of picky eaters...
"They" say that it can take 10 times of introducing a new food before a kid will eat it. I don't know who "they" are, but that's the word on that.
Good luck!
Peas, Day 2:
I thinned them out with a bit of water, which helped with the gagging. But even though he's still making "why the HECK are you feeding me this?!" faces, he opens his mouth big whenever I bring a spoonful to it. That's gotta be a good sign, right?
Don't you love their giggles? She has, only once or twice, really belly laughed, and it is the cutest thing. I love watching other people go through it too! Doesn't it...kind of...make you want another one? Later of course.
I can't believe he's eating so much so soon! Zara is still a breastfed baby and I'm going to to my best to keep it up until 6 months and then start giving her food. Although if she IS teething, maybe that means she's ready for more food? She loves loves loves the liquid vitamins I give her so we are assuming she'll love love love food, but we'll see. She gets so antsy during feedings that I won't be surprised if I end up giving her food sooner than 6 months. Crazy!! Time goes fast!
Garret seems like such a happy kid in all his pictures - you must be so patient with him though, b/c it sounds like he can be fussy. He's cute all the way though.
I love that we are virtual buddies.
Try sweet potatoes. You really liked them.
I hate peas...but I can't wait to see more pictures of Garrett the Carrot!
i have a nephew that needed zantac as a baby. It completely changed his personality... made him soo much happier. Funny... his name is Garrett too! Not that you Garrett didn't already seem tremendously happy. He is so smiley! I do hope it helps though.
Henry loves green beans, but we haven't tried peas yet. You know what he hates? Peaches. Gags the second they hit his tongue.
I know I left a comment yesterday - apparently it didn't make it through. Stupid thing!
I tried to say that BlueEyes would be the proud parent of any child who turned his nose up at peas. And that my mom swore she made us non-picky eaters by having us sit up to the table with them at mealtimes and giving us little tastes of everything (when we were ready), so that we were introduced to not only the foods, but to social eating. Plus, we would eat anything she or my dad would.
I remember showing my little brother that his peas (baby food version) were yummy. I put the spoon to my mouth and almost gagged - needed salt.
Good luck with the vegetables. Olivia gagged with peas too and every other vegetable. During her "baby food days" we never got her to eat a single vegetable no matter how hard we tried. Funny thing is that now broccoli and green beans are her favorite foods.
I love reading about your exciting life in Brooklyn and your sweet baby.
Hurray for Zantac working! The solids never worked very well for my Lindsay, but Zantac made her so much happier, and so much more manageable. Isn't it great!
I agree with Kristie. It takes at least ten different tastes of a new food to adjust. So keep at it.
Post a Comment