Wednesday, October 17, 2007

why shoplifting period, but especially in brooklyn, is not a good idea

So, I just got home from a trip to Rite Aid to pick up some Tide and toilet paper -- you know, the usual. During the time that I was there, something not so usual happened -- about 8 pairs (yes, that's right -- pairs) of NYPD officers entered the store. It struck me as odd that so many uniformed officers would choose to spend their lunch hour at the local Rite Aid, but, I don't know...maybe they all had prescriptions to pick up?

Only then things got a teeny bit exciting when, as I was at the front paying, 4 officers walked down the shampoo aisle leading a handcuffed old man towards the door where a squad car was parked waiting for him. I asked the cashier (who, by the way, was really nice and offered to lift my heavy items out of my cart since I had a baby strapped to my front...I'll go through her line again any day) what happened and she said they caught him shoplifting on their high security surveillance cameras.

"Some people are just stupid," she said.

In a city where every store is monitored by high security surveillance cameras, some people are indeed not too bright.

2 comments:

Sarah Kay said...

Nope. Not so bright. I hope they're not too hard on in him though - an old man in jail? He'd be dead meat. Dead, dead meat. Poor, stupid dude.

heath said...

I love that they needed 4 police officers to escort him. Besides the other 6 pairs! What were they there for?