Wednesday, October 17, 2007

dreaming

I am a very frugal person, but that doesn't mean I don't harbor deep down inside of me a wish list filled with items both attainable (in due time, of course) and wildly out of my reach. Here are a few things I'd love to get my hands on:
  • An Ergo infant carrier. Or better yet, the limited edition Ergo infant carrier -- the one with vents that makes it more comfortable to wear in warm weather. For a while I'd considered a Baby Patapum infant carrier mostly because it's a little cheaper, but then I realized that the Ergo is better because I could carry Garrett not only on my front and back, but on my hip as well. (Thanks again, Becca, for sharing your wealth of infant carrier knowledge with me.) I could also carry Garrett on my hip with the Go Sling, which is also on my wish list. I have a Snugli, and right now it's working great. But in a few months either Garrett will outgrow it or my back won't be able to support him as well on my front, and I've learned that city life has made a good infant carrier an absolute necessity.
  • A Bumbo Baby Seat, for two reasons: so Garrett can see more of the world and to maybe help his head round out.
  • Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld (wife of Jerry). Because we all could do with sneaking a few more veggies into our diet. I know some might consider this book a rip off of that Sneaky Chef cookbook, but I personally am a fan of all things Seinfeld. And also she demonstrated a few recipes on the Today Show a while back and totally persuaded me.
  • Dr. Sears' The Baby Book. Because sometimes it feels like I'm totally winging this child-raising gig. I have a copy checked out from the library right now and from what I've browsed through so far, it looks pretty helpful.
  • The 2008 Writer's Market. Because I want to do more with my writing. And they say that living in NYC is a great place to be to try to get published. So, why not, right? Maybe this wish list item could prove to be an investment...
  • A new frying pan. Because a few months ago I accidentally burned the non-stick coating off of mine. (Word to the wise...don't burn meatballs in a non-stick frying pan.)
  • New glasses. I've given the trendy plastic frames a shot, but I think I'm ready to go back to something that isn't always sliding off my nose.
  • A real bed. Like this one that Blake picked out. (He's got good taste, don't you think?)
  • Someone to finance AND pick out a new wardrobe for me. Let's face it: I'm cheap and often let my cheapness override the fact that what I really need are pants that fit in the waist, hip, and leg and at the same time; shirts that are long enough to truly cover my torso; bras, shoes, and other accessories from someplace other than Target; etc, etc, etc.
  • An electric keyboard piano. That doesn't sound too tinny. And has 88 keys. Because, honestly, I'd love to start playing again, but a real piano just isn't an option right now.
  • A new couch. The one we have now was free (thanks, Kimberlie!) and is, according to my mom, very comfortable. But it's old and stained and kind of falling apart.
  • A new microwave. Because the one we have now is apparently possessed (or has an electrical short, whathaveyou). We have to unplug it after every use or else it will spontaneously, and all by itself, turn on (like it's doing right now....um, excuse me for a second while I go unplug it).
  • To win one of the contests I've recently been entering. Because winning would be awesome.
Hey -- a girl can dream, can't she? What are you guys dreaming of?

8 comments:

goddessdivine said...

That's quite a list. I hope you win some prize money somewhere.

I would love to be your personal shopper; though I don't think I could finance it. You should submit yourself to one of those Oprah makeover shows. If there's one thing you should splurge on, it would be a bra from Victoria's Secret. They do make the best bras, hands down. You just have to keep your eyes out for the sales.

Jenny said...

Ok I want the cookbook and the sling and a bumbo seat as well. Have you checked on craigslist for the seat? You can sit them on the counter, use it as a booster, all kinds of fabulous things.

I had to relpace a calphalon pan and I went online and the bialetti or however they are spelled are ranked higher than Calphalon cookware. You can get a three pack from the Costco here for $30, so I bet you can find the size you're looking for online for cheap. I love them and they work better than my slightly used Calphalon ones, and I can stick them in the dishwasher if I want. So nice.

Yay for wishlists. I want a nice dress or skirt for winter.

FoxyJ said...

Craigslist is awesome. It will make all your dreams come true! I have the Baby Book and I really like it. Right now on my wish list I just have a real house with a dishwasher, a yard, and a garage. Someday, maybe. At least we live in a cool city with lots of parks.

TheQueen@TerrorsInTiaras said...

I love your wish list. Mine is still too long to put here. We just got a real bed a few months ago and we both cannot believe how it makes our room look like a "grown-up" room. Of course, we've been married for 14 years...it took us long enough.
Funnily enough, as far as furniture goes, a new couch is still on the top of my list. The ones we have in our Family Room now are so bad and uncomfortable. My mother-in-law still misses the one you have now, because it's comfy. I don't miss it, but I am sure glad someone fabulous could put it to good use until you get your dream couch!

Krysta said...

I need a new frying pan, too. A 10 inch Calphalon to replace the one Will literally set on fire while making some bacon. It's on my Amazon Wishlist :)

Unknown said...

come on lindsay...these are your dreams...go for the real piano! as for me i would like one of those, and a full time cook and personal shopper and someone to go to the gym for me.

okay but in reality i would settle for my own library.

amanda said...

At this point I just want no more stressful tests, and to be offered a job for next summer! Unfortunately and ironically I am paying dearly (financially and emotionally) for the former, and just hoping that the latter will come along with my time here. Lindsay, if you really want a full keyboard, Tyler has one that he bought last year but won't use anymore. He's been talking about selling it on Craigslist. You should ask him about it.

Sara said...

I want a dishwasher. I am seriously considering renting one from the community center. And I just might have a teeny tiny need for a new laptop. Okay, not so tiny.