This week's been busy. Crazy busy, you might say. There has been too much to do and barely enough time to do it in. And even though an equally busy weekend is staring me square in the face, it's nice to know that today is Friday. I've made it this far, I can keep going.
Sometimes I have to sit back and ask myself, "How do I keep going?" And then I have to sit forward and answer myself: "I make lists. And I cross things off them. That's how."
It is true that I am one of those so-called "listmakers." For some reason I like overwhelming myself with a list three miles long of everything I need to do. But there is a strange satisfaction in being able to cross things off that list.
Sometimes my lists get out of control. When I feel stressed, and my current list isn't handy, or if it's getting too difficult to read what's left there to do because of all the scribbles crossing off what I already have done, I'll grab another piece of paper and start writing things down again. On very busy weeks, I end up with, oh, somewhere in the neighborhood of five thousand different lists. Like this week...I think the amount of lists I made grew exponentially every twelve hours or so. But it's generally not a very good idea to have so many lists because then what's the point? Isn't a list to help you feel organized and in control? Maybe I should put myself on a bit of a list diet.
But organization aside, there is definitely a euphoric feeling that comes with having your own to-do list, your own agenda. An exhaustingly euphoric feeling, but euphoric nonetheless. It helps increase efficiency, which is something I am all about. If you're going to go all the way to the other side of town to go the post office, why not make a stop next door at the bread store? It makes sense...and then you can cross off more than one item in one shot. So not only does efficiency save time, but it also saves gas. And since gas prices are the popular thing to talk about these days, you might as well save some and give yourself something to talk about at your next dinner party.
Yesterday, after letting it sit on my list for about a month and a half, I finally crossed off my Go To The Fabric Store And Buy Quilt Stuff line item. At the beginning of July, when I was in Utah for my brother's wedding, I went to a little quilt shop with my quilt-making aunt. She gave me a few quick lessons in quilt construction, helped me find a simple pattern for a small quilt, and inspired me to go make it. It's taken me a while, but yesterday I spent my lunch hour at Joann Fabrics deciding on fabric and purchasing a few other needed supplies. Fabric stores are pleasant places when you've got time to enjoy them. It's fun to get lost in a sea of colorful cotton prints. And it's entertaining to chat with employees and other customers at the cutting counter about each other's different projects. So now, when I can find some time to not only stop and smell the roses, but sit among them as well, I'll start the quilt.
And so now for the weekend. For the next few days we'll stay busy returning and checking out library items; driving to Columbus, OH for a session at the temple; planning a Relief Society lesson; talking to family and friends on the phone (including my great friend, Emily, who is moving soon to St. Louis...so close to us!!); doing laundry, running a few errands -- to the grocery store, to the gas station, and probably to that necessary evil, Walmart; writing a thesis; going visiting/home teaching; attending church and its subsequent meetings; cleaning up the house and cleaning out the car; and telling all those people who tell me that just because we don't have children, we can't possibly understand what busy means to please shove it.*
Have a lovely weekend all!
*And yes, I've been told this several times recently and it's starting to get annoying.
3 comments:
Wow...I've yet to be told that because we don't have children (yet) we couldn't possibly be busy. Just know you are certainly not alone in the busy department! Or in the list-making department...although I seem to have lost my most recent list...
Zeno's Paradox applied to making lists:
1. A list is a series of items or tasks to be obtained or completed.
2. For every item to be obtained a series of steps is necessary to obtain it.
3. If a series of steps is required to obtain the item, then a list can be made for that series of steps.
4. Every step in the newly created list requires further steps to create each one of those steps. This process has no end.
5. A similar process can be crated for completing tasks.
6. If every item or task on a list can be divided further to new lists and new items or tasks, then it is impossible to complete one task on a list, needless to say multiple items on a list.
7. There will always be one item or task to do before the task you listed.
line upon line...
2 Ne. 28: 30
D&C 98: 12
enjoy,
dad
Post a Comment