Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Character Collage

I am a reader (and consequent book lover). And so it is fitting, I think, that I see elements of the characters I read about in books in myself. And so I bring to you...my Character Collage.

I am part...
  • Francie Nolan (A Tree Grows in Brooklyn) because I am thoughtful, observant, and oftentimes lonely. I need to be needed and change is pretty much always difficult for me.
  • Katie Rommelly Nolan (A Tree Grows in Brooklyn) because even though change is hard, I'm determined to survive.
  • Harriet M. Welsch (Harriet the Spy) because I am a writer and am always scribbling something.
  • Boo Radley (To Kill a Mockingbird) because I'm shy and pretty much scared of everything.
  • Tacy Kelly (Betsy-Tacy) because even though I'm timid in groups, I'm always included, even though I may not fully realize it at the time.
  • Jane Bennett (Pride and Prejudice) because I am the oldest daughter and have a tendency to sometimes be an obnoxious optimist.
  • Ramona Quimby (the Ramona books) because sometimes my curiosity puts me in the way of things. Also, I have short straight hair.
  • Matilda (Matilda) because I am and always will be a reader.
  • Fred and George Weasley (Harry Potter) because I am amused by a good practical joke and I appreciate the witty.
  • Mary Lennox (The Secret Garden) because I have a tendency to wake up at night to strange noises, which sometimes lead me to get up and wander the house. Also, I love flowers.
  • Sarah (Sarah, Plain and Tall) because I love the sea.
  • Amelia Bedelia (Amelia Bedelia) because I, too, can make a mean lemon meringue pie.
  • Jo March (Little Women) because I am a writer.
  • Charlotte (Charlotte's Web) because I am thoughtful, but stern. I definitely know when to put my foot down.
  • Ophelia (Hamlet) because my adolescent years were rather difficult. (Though, unlike Ophelia, I survived them.)
  • The White Rabbit (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland) because I'm always in a hurry.
  • Bronwen Morgan (How Green Was My Valley) because I am gentle and when I know something's right, I stick to it.
  • Maddie (The Hundred Dresses) because I sometimes find myself in situations where I know I should stand up for others but am too scared to do so.
  • Jenny Pearson (The Trouble with Jenny's Ear) because as a child I was quite prone to ear infections.
  • And probably many more, but it's late, and I'm tired, and this list is long enough. Maybe next time I'll list characters that I wish I were more like...

No comments: