It's hard to believe people when they tell you that your newborn will grow out of the fussiness he apparently came packaged with when he was born. "Just wait until he's three months," they say. "Everything will be better then." And deep down you know that it will because you've done this before. But when he's six weeks, two months, even two-and-a-half months old, and the only things he gives you are screams and headaches, in all your exhaustion it's hard to remember that the misery will eventually come to an end and your baby will emerge from that uncomfortable cocoon and will be happy. It's a magical thing, really, and the only reason I can tell you this now is because it has been happening at our house.
After three months of adjusting to an existence outside of the womb, Caleb has finally come to terms with his life. He is happy and actually pleasant to be around. It's as if a new baby has come to live at our house. Which isn't to say that things are perfect. He's still human, after all, and as such is prone to the occasional teary meltdown. But the keyword here is occasional. It's no longer a constant part of his personality.
At any rate, here are some things I'm loving about this "new" (and dare I say improved?) Caleb:
- His smiles have been upgraded from "amateur" to "professional." If you say his name or talk to him, he smiles. If you look at him, he smiles. And sometimes, when he's in a good mood and wants the world to know it, he'll sigh contentedly and smile. And these aren't your run-of-the-mill baby smiles either. They're full-blown, eye-twinkling grins, bursting with uncontainable excitement. (The camera hardly does them justice, but I think you get the idea.)
- He has learned to laugh. He doesn't yet do it spontaneously, but in the evenings, during his second wind just before bedtime, he is especially giddy and ticklish. He thinks it's hilarious when we pretend to gobble up his hands, and I think it's hilarious that laughing gives him the hiccups.
- He self-soothes, or maybe it's just a newfound ability to entertain himself, but there is little that makes him happier in his moments of downtime than sucking on his hands. I'm curious to see if, once he develops more control over his own muscles, he'll cut back to just his thumb. But for now, we're all enjoying the digital smorgasbord.
A happy Caleb means better days (and nights) for all of us, which in turn makes it easier for me to be a Mother of Two. Recently I have caught myself having moments where I think, Heck, this two kids thing is great! Let's have buckets of children! Of course, then I remember how difficult pregnancy is and so tone down my giddiness. But even so, it is nice to wake up in the morning not dreading the day ahead of me.
9 comments:
Yes! People often ask me if it's hard to have three. And I always tell them, Nah, three just makes me want to have four. Welcome Caleb--new and improved model!
You're luck and I'm jealous b/c things are not where they are for you, for me yet : (
YEAH! for a normal life with two! That has to be so wonderful. he is adorable and I love his hiccup laugh as well. So so cute!
He's adorable... and looks so much like his big brother!
Hooray for the passing of time...
Caleb is adorable and I just love baby laughter!
JoEllen
Is that Monsters Inc. that I heard in the background of Caleb eating his hands? Your pictures of Caleb's smiles are so cute! I'm so glad life is getting easier for you with your two sweet boys now. You deserve to have this fun time being a mom. Love you!
I love the videos. So cute!!
You give me hope for what's approaching so quickly for us.
Oh, my goodness. I think I'm smitten by the boy. He is so darn cute! Lindsay, you and Blake sure make some adorable kids!
Hooray for better times - and more sleep!
Post a Comment