Take last night, for example. I served a chicken and rice dinner with a side garden salad. The salad had pieces of grated carrot in it which Garrett, of his own accord, figured out how to dip into ranch dressing. Only, once dipped, he wouldn't eat the carrot; instead he'd lick the ranch off, then dip again for more. After several licks and dips, he'd set his used piece of carrot off to the side, select a new one, and begin the process again. He didn't touch anything else on his plate.
So. For those of you just joining us, all my son ate last night of his dinner was ranch dressing.**
Garrett is so weird sometimes. And here is further proof:
Lately, when he's tired or bored, I'll find him curled up with his blanket and binky on any available piece of floor looking as if he's about to conk out. (He hasn't fallen completely asleep yet, though it's bound to happen any time now.) His typical position is on his stomach, knees folded beneath him, with his bottom sticking up in the air, and I have found him thus everywhere from below the kitchen sink (see above) to underneath chairs in the livingroom. So bizarre.
Also? Just the other day he realized that a great place to stick his fingers when they are not otherwise occupied is up his nose. He doesn't pick; he just safekeeps them there. I can't decide if I should be grossed out or charmed by his resourcefulness.
*Though he's eating less food than I thought was normal for him, he does still eat. I'm not worried about him wasting away to wispiness. But it is getting pretty annoying to prepare meals which he's proved to me before that he'll happily eat only to watch him pick at them in disgust. I'm sure this is just one of those toddler phases I've been warned of, but still. It's frustrating.
**Of course, being the sort of mother who doesn't like to send her child to bed on an empty stomach, I offered him an assortment of food which was not on the menu, but which I knew he'd eat at least a little bit of. But just out of curiosity, do you think any nutrients can be derived from licking a carrot? And do kids ever get sick of eating the same old fallback foods over and over again?
11 comments:
Yeah, I've learned to be at peace with my kids' weird eating habits--they do seem to go in cycles of eating well and then relapsing into non-eating. I do hate putting them to bed on an empty stomach, but sometimes that's what they want. Last night all my kids had for dinner was one mandarin orange each. And of course they woke up early demanding breakfast, so I guess they made up for it somehow. I think the falling asleep thing is so cute--neither of my kids has ever done that. I hope some day I have an easy sleeper like that!
Oh yeah, welcome to the toddler club. Olivia's diet in the last weeks has been dwindling down to less and less. I thought her diet was restricted before, and she keeps proving to me that she'll eat less and less. One day this week she didn't eat lunch, she didn't eat dinner (except for 1/2 a muffin), and then didn't want breakfast. I hear it's a stage and I hope for both of our sake's, it's temporary.
Yeap it's a stage that comes and goes.
Frustrating to cook something they've loved before and then that disgusted look on their face, right? Yeap ... that's why I still keep some jars of Gerber 3rd foods in my pantry and whenever we've been through those days of not eating so well we pop the jar and he eats it (he calls it his soup) then I'm happy and I'm assuming so is he.
I've been at the table eating something that I knew for sure he wouldn't eat and next thing I know he's taking that out of my plate :OI
You just never know.
Love the picture, I see that pose on my son (no blanky ... no binky) when he doesn't want to do something I've asked him to do so I quickly bring up the "On the count of 3 you need to get up or ..."
(I have a blog in English now ... come visit ... just started though)
Better a carrot in ranch than a french fry in ketchup! There are some days that my kids only eat dip, like pretzels dipped in yogurt but not eaten themselves, or apples dipped in caramel. I should come up with some super genius recipe for a dip that tastes good and is packed with things that are good for them, because then it doesn't matter if they don't eat the carrot, right? Right. Wishful thinking, I'm sure.
Fun post!
Just goes to show you that no matter how hard you try to shape them the way you want, there own ideas and personalities persist.
And no, kids don't get sick of eating the same things over and over. My staples growing up were peanut butter and honey, cereal, apples, carrots, tacos, rice, potatoes, hamburgers, and cheese sandwiches. If you tried really hard you could get me to eat chicken, but that was about as far as you could push me. And this really isn't an exaggeration.
And I just realized that I spelled "their" t-h-e-r-e in the first paragraph. I'm so embarrassed.
I share the frustration! All three have, and are still going through the picky eating stage.
That’s why I love Jessica Seinfeld’s book Deceptively Delicious (I know, I say this a lot). I don’t follow her recipes exactly, but I love the idea of pureeing veggies and hiding them.
My kids don’t know they’re having squash or cauliflower in their mac and cheese at all! And so, it doesn’t bother me quite so much when they have mac and cheese almost every day.
The "picky" eating will end...it happens every few months around here! While it can be very annoying, we're learning to let it go. The other night all he did was eat ketchup...and now he wants a "nack" (snack) every hour. He'll soon be your little piggy again!
I am probably the meanest mom ever, but if my kids don't eat their meal they don't eat at all. I believe that they won't waste away by missing one meal and hopefully by the next meal they will be hungry enough to eat whatever I give them.
I agree, it is frustrating. Sal's appetite waxes and wanes like every other toddler. When he is hungry, look out, because he'll eat anything! When he isn't growing though, we'll go 3 or 4 days with just a minimal amount. I don't offer what's not on the menu though. I figure if he's hungry, he'll eat what we're eating. Maybe that is why he is starving in 3 days time. :)
Love the picture of Garrett "sleeping" on the floor. So funny!
PS I bought the potty training book your mother recommended. Just getting into it, so I'm hoping it'll help give me some good ideas. Thanks for the tip.
I struggle with 2 picky eaters. Sometimes all they eat is ranch, or ketchup, or syrup - ALL WEEK LONG!
Can someone please make those main food groups?!?!
Kids sure are quirky!
Post a Comment