David's Fried Baloney Sandwich
[Dorothy's note: "One evening I got a call from David when he was still doing his show at NBC and he asked me on the air how to make this sandwich. It had always been just about his favorite lunch, but I didn't know how fondly he remembered it until he called me that night."]
2 slices bread
2 slices baloney
2 slices fresh tomato
mustard (hot dog variety)
In a small nonstick skillet, heat the baloney slices (do not overcook). Make 1 cut from center to edge of baloney slice so it doesn't cup. Spread 1 slice of bread with mustard [or 2 slices, if you're like me and love mustard]. Put on the baloney and tomato slices. Top with the other slice of bread. Enjoy! Makes 1 sandwich.
There's another baloney recipe in the cookbook that I just might have to try. It's called Baloney Breakfast, and is basically just a piece of baloney heated in a skilled until it cups, and then served with scrambled eggs inside. A little strange, yes, but I'm intrigued just the same.
Anyway, so go fry up some baloney and feel as famous as David Letterman.
5 comments:
No way. I don't think I can do it. I'm in the 'a little disgusted' camp.
Glad you liked it, though. :)
I'm with Mommyofthree. There is no way I could stomach the sandwich.
I've had it but not fried, is that even more disgusting????
When I was in University this was the cheapest "meat" you could buy for those late night studies snack (strong coffee and baloney sandwich, which is in real bread - like fresh baked - is even better).
Once again, you brought back sweet memories to mind!
May be one day I'll try it fried! Not sure if my picky husband will like it though! :D
We used to always have baloney and egg cups for breakfast. I actually grew up LOVING baloney and reading your post made me nostalgic for those breakfasts.
Thanks for sharing!
"My bologna has a first name, it's OSCAR... my bologna has a second name, it's MEYER..."
I love bologna. I feed it to my kids. I know it's not particularly good for you, and we don't eat it all the time, but when we do, we love it. :)
Post a Comment