Wednesday, April 29, 2009

hi-ho cherry-o

I'm not exactly sure where Spring went, but over the weekend, Summer decided to make an appearance in Brooklyn. With sunny temperatures hovering between 85 and just over 90 degrees, the trees took note and stopped dragging their feet about blossoming. Yesterday, which was the warmest day of the bunch, we trekked to the Brooklyn Botanic Garden to bask in the glory of their cherry blossoms. Everything was at peak bloom, and it was gorgeous. The entire gardens were lovely, but the Japanese Flowering Cherries and the fragrant Dogwoods were spectacular. Don't believe me? Take a look for yourself:

The Cherry Esplanade

Looking up

The Cherry Walk

It might not beat the cherry blooms in our nation's capital, but it was the most breathtaking blossom display I've ever witnessed (going to the D.C. cherry festival is still on my to-do list). To be there at peak bloom made it all the better, though more than once I found myself romantically wishing the blossoms were ready to fall down around us in the shady breeze. Ah well. I suppose that just leaves me with an excuse to go again next year.

8 comments:

melissa @ 1lbr said...

That's gorgeous! Only place I've been that rivals that was in Japan. (Though, I haven't been to DC in the spring...)

Kristie said...

Amazing!

Sarah said...

Of course, this reminds me of a certain budding author who describes apple blossoms a certain shade of pink...

Absolutely gorgeous. Our apple trees are just starting to leaf and I can't wait to see them blossom

Kristi said...

Ooh, pretty. And I love dogwood trees, too.

Wendy said...

So beautiful!

heath said...

Cherry blossoms are one of my favorite things! (Funny, I feel a song coming on . . . )

Carolyne said...

Oh my goodness...That's is a vision splendid!

MOMster said...

Wow! That is spectacular! I love the beauty of the pink blossoms. There is something very ethereal about it to me.