Friday, July 03, 2009

baby update

I had another doctor's appointment the other day -- I've been bumped up from monthly visits to checking in every two weeks. Everything is looking good except for the fact that the baby is currently breech. Hopefully two more months is enough time for this kid to find the desire and kick it in gear to turn himself around.

While there have so far been no major complications, this pregnancy has felt more challenging than my first one. Perhaps this is because I have to walk everywhere I need to go, or maybe it's because I'm simultaneously caring for a very active toddler. Maybe it's the fact that this time around various aspects of reality are more demanding and require more attention from me, or it could just be these blasted Braxton-Hicks contractions that I get all the time, making this third trimester extremely uncomfortable and oftentimes painful. Whatever the reason, I'm just about ready for this pregnancy to be over. Two more months. Can I do this for two more months?

But enough whining. The third trimester is difficult and uncomfortable for everyone. Here are some of the things that I'm enjoying:
  • Except for when they induce contractions, I love feeling the baby's squirms and kicks. Sometimes it feels like his tiny fingers are grabbing at my insides and it tickles.
  • He gets the hiccups once or twice a day, which I think is funny.
  • The whole "baby brother" reality is starting to click a little with Garrett. He has recently started to say "baby, baby" as he points to my belly. (And then his fingers move north to those two other bumps which he is also convinced are babies.)
  • Blake has always been a helpful husband, but lately he has been especially so, which in the evenings, when all I have energy to do is crash on the nearest soft surface, has been very, very nice. He'll even let me hog the entire couch when we're lounging in front of the TV.
The topic of full moons and their effect on births has come up in an oddly large amount of conversations I've been a part of lately. Even though Garrett made his grand appearance just over two weeks early and under a full moon, I've never really taken much stock in this strand of folklore. But even so, I decided to check to see when the nearest full moon to my due date would be. A little research told me that it will be Friday, September 4th at precisely 12:03 pm EST. Because of my experience with Garrett, I was curious to see at what minute the moon was full over Muncie, Indiana, so I looked and was quite surprised to learn that on June 30, 2007 it came at 9:50 am -- right about the same time that labor for his birth began. Spooky, no?

What does this all mean? Probably nothing, really. After all, no two pregnancies are exactly the same, and how much influence can the moon really have and twice in a row? But if anyone asks me when I think this baby will come, I'll most likely tell them September 4th around noon. If anyone asks Blake his date guess, he'll tell you sometime in August. I guess we'll see what happens.

12 comments:

Kristie said...

It took me forever to recognize that Enoch had the hiccups, no other child did. After I realized what they were I was just amazed that a baby could have so many hiccups in the womb!

goddessdivine said...

Sorry about the discomfort. Hopefully that baby does decide to turn itself around and make it easier on you.

Katie said...

Interesting stuff about the full moon! I looked my kids birthdays up and Jackson was born during a full moon, but Mia was born during a new moon ... strange, but fun to look at! Hang in there!

JoEllen said...

The end is near. You can do it! The third trimester is tough and it's hard when you're so exhausted.

My little guys both love those "other two bumps." It's so funny. When I was pregnant this last time, Little Sal would tell me that he thought they were pretty! Boys!

I'm curious to see what the moon was doing when my boys were born. I didn't let nature take it's course though...so maybe mine don't count.

In utero hiccups are weird. Twice a day huh? That's fun!

Sarah said...

My dad always said he delivered more babies around the time when there was a full moon than when there wasn't....
I'm sure your baby will turn in time.

Good luck with the last trimester!

Kristi said...

My mom was a labor nurse for 28 years and was always happy on those full moons when she wasn't on duty. Full moons and storms seem to bring on labor, so watch out for low pressure fronts, too!

Carrie said...

this is great! I never heard about things like the moon and storms inducing pregnancy. Now I'll have to check it out. Good luck with the next few months.

TheQueen@TerrorsInTiaras said...

My oldest always thought her twin little sisters were growing in the two northward bumps--one for each baby. After the girls were born, she learned what they were really for and spent many hours "nursing" her own baby doll.
It's been a while since I've read any blogs and it was fun catching up on yours. Garrett's an adorable birthday boy and those Disney crying pictures are priceless. Fun trip.

heath said...

I'm betting on September 4th--if it happened before it's likely it will happen again, right?

melissa @ 1lbr said...

Triplets? Congrats :)

Emily said...

Hahahaha. Garrett is so funny. What's with men and their fascinations? I guess they never grow up. ;)

Claire said...

OK that third bullet point is hilarious. So you're not having triplets?