Thursday, May 28, 2009

in the stairwell

This afternoon, as Garrett and I were s l o w l y climbing the stairs up to our apartment, we were greeted by the man, who, along with his sweet wife, lives directly below us. He is Polish and very friendly. I especially like them both because they patiently put up with the overhead noise caused by Garrett. As Garrett and I crept closer to where he was standing, he noticed my pregnant belly.

"Ah! You are going to have another one!" he happily exclaimed in his accented English.

"Yep," I replied.

"Oh, that is wonderful!" he said, grinning and patting me on my shoulder in congratulations. "Mazal tov! Mazal tov!"

I smiled. Other people, upon realizing that we're adding to the family, have joyfully wished me well, but never with this much enthusiasm.

"Wait," he said before continuing his decent down the stairs. "You are not Jewish, are you?"

"No."

"Neither am I," he admitted, "but mazal tov is such a good word, don't you think?"

Yes, yes I do.

10 comments:

Eric said...

i love it!

TheQueen@TerrorsInTiaras said...

cute!

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Hahahaha!

Much better than the one I got from a neighbor the other day. "You're not telling me you're already having another one! That was quick! Do you just want to get it over with?"

Mazal tov is so much better.

JoEllen said...

I love when other people greet your own pregnancy with such enthusiasm. It makes it so much more fun.

Mazal tov!!

Emily said...

Mazal tov!! I'm excited for you too! I think the whole Polish accent thing made the story so enjoyable!

Kristie said...

I think we are missing out on a lot of fun expressions by not being Jewish! I have some neighbors who are Jewish and they are so fun. We need a 'Mormon' Mazal tov!

heath said...

I love him! So glad there are still friendly and positive people in the world.

Sara said...

Makes me smile...can't wait to have neighbors!

MOMster said...

That is awesome! Reminds me of "Fiddler on the Roof." And you're going to make a wonderful mother of two. :)

Samantha said...

Ha! Cute!

How about those comments like "Are you pregnant? Yeah, you couldn't be that fat." And "Oh no, another one?!" Yes. Two comments I've gotten in the last 2 weeks or so.