And falling.
And sending his lower teeth shooting through his upper lip, resulting in pools of blood dripping from his mouth.
Oh, the hazards of walking. The inside of Garrett's upper lip suddenly looks like a battlefield. It's gross. And it has the habit of sending me into a state of panic.
His first bloody mishap occurred on Monday. I heard him trip and fall, which is a very normal thing for him to do these days. Only this time, he cried harder. When I went to comfort him, I realized that, judging by the amounts of blood pooling around his mouth, this was no ordinary fall.
For a moment, I completely lost my senses. How in the world was I supposed to control the bleeding of a mouth wound? And on a squirmy one-year-old?! When I came to, I grabbed a damp paper towel and shoved it in his mouth, thus engaging in a physical battle to determine how long I could keep it there. The blood kept coming; I started envisioning stitches. In my panic, I called Blake, knowing full well that, from his office desk, he could do nothing more than give me words of reassurance and perhaps a little guidance. At about the same time he picked up the phone, the bleeding in Garrett's mouth began to subside and his happy personality rose to the surface. I gave him some Tylenol and sent him back to play, crossing my fingers that this would never happen again.
Never say never, the experts like to say. Because then Wednesday comes, with another bloody fall, only this time it's worse. More tears, more blood, and, when I'm finally able to examine the wound, more panic. Stitches this time? I don't know. I call my mom, knowing full well that, from her home 2,200 miles away, she could do nothing more than give me words of reassurance and perhaps a little guidance. I listened as she told me things I already knew, but desperately wanted to hear anyway. As she talked, the bleeding in Garrett's mouth finally subsided and, relieved, I let him go back and play.
There's a lot about Brooklyn that used to scare me but doesn't anymore. Knowing what to do if my child is involved in some sort of emergency situation is not on that list. If, say, he needed stitches, could his doctor down the block take care of it? Would I need to find an urgent care facility or, worse yet, take him to a hospital ER? Not having a car only complicates things. A cut requiring a few stitches doesn't seem to be ambulance-worthy, but I don't feel comfortable taking a bleeding child for a ride on the bus or subway. There are car service options, but I hear rumors that liability might prevent them from giving ER drop offs.
Look at me -- my nerves are wracked, and for no pressing reason. Let's just hope that if (if -- not when) something like that ever happens while we live here, I'll be able to keep my wits about me.
In the meantime, though, let's switch gears. All this talk about falling reminds me that fall has arrived in Brooklyn. It's fun to watch the seasons change in the city. I used to think that changing seasons weren't noticeable in cement-filled cities, but after living here for over a year, I have been proved wrong. Here are a few autumn shots taken around our neighborhood:
I was reading the other day that one of the best places for spectacular autumn vistas here in the city is on the 7th floor of Bergdorf Goodman overlooking the colorful foliage at the foot of Central Park. Maybe we'll make it up there sometime before the trees strip down in winter nakedness.
14 comments:
Lindsay: I live three blocks away. If you have an emergency need for a car you could also call me. :)
Thanks, friend. I'll keep that in mind for if (not when) this happens. :)
I know God gives us what we need in moments of crisis. I know you will know what to do "if" that ever happens! And having a boy myself ... I know they are wild and they love to run from one place to the next ... it's like walking is not even an option anymore! ha!
Good luck with the fun times to come!
Those are some beautiful pictures! Thanks for sharing. And maybe you just need to sit down with Garrett and explain to him the physics of having your teeth on your lips when you fall. I'm sure it would help!
The first time my kid had a bleeding mouth, I lost all senses and took him to the ER. When they washed away the blood there was about a 1/4 inch cut that wasn't even deep enough to warrant a band-aid... Central Park is one of my favorite places to be in the fall. (Remembering I don't like fall.)
mouth wounds always seem to bleed the most.. good thing is that they normally heal really fast too... hope your little walker makes it without any more mishaps!
Poor Garrett! I hope you never have to deal with a medical emergency. That's one of my biggest fears too. It's a little scary to be home with three rambunctious kids and no car. I just hope I never have to deal with something awful happening because I have no clue what I would do!
On a positive note, your fall pictures are lovely!
Your neighborhood seems like such a fun place to live.
I have these images in my head of what will happen if I need to take Zara to the emergency room when I'm home alone. I feel like I'll either step up and be a grown up or totally lose it and freak out. I have a car at my disposal so that helps though. I know what it's like to be w/o one though!
I think little boys do seem to get hurt more often, a bit more seriously, in general. I'm sorry!! I do want a boy one day, but I'm so afraid of them!
Even when I know what to do I like the words of reassurance when something goes wrong. Moms are great for that even if they are far away.
well melanie beat me to it but you know if you needed to, day or night, you could call me and i'd be down there in a flash. think of us as your free car service
:)
Thanks, Emily! I'm a lucky girl to have been blessed with such great friends. Hopefully if (not when) something ER-worthy happens, I'll remember just how blessed and call on you guys instead of freaking out about how complicated NYC can sometimes make my life seem. :)
My best friend in semi-emergency situations is 1. Paige 2. Paige’s Mom 3. My sister and 4.WebMD. I have a chain I call on. It seems like our mother’s have had to deal with just about everything and more and know what to do. And if I’m not satisfied with the answers I get from my chian… WebMD is a great reference for telling me if I need to freak out and what to do to help the situation along.
It helps to have Chris around or a phone call away to calm me as well… my first instinct is to run to the ER in almost every situation… Kenna falling and getting a cut above her eye, Josh jumping off furniture and cutting his lip… Andrew did the same as well. Luckily, nothing aweful, but with little ones it’s not really a matter of if, but when. Just pray for very minor injuries, and reading up on basic first aid and having a good first aid kit will help calm a lot. At least this is what helps me!
Let me know if you want to have a great list of items for a nice compact, and complete first aid kit. I have mine in a small black lunch type bag that fits an amazing amount… heck, you just gave me a great idea for a blog. Thanks!
P.S. I love those pictures! Just beautiful!
Same here, Lindsay. Let me know if you ever need me to drive you to the emergency room. Oh, I know all too well how scary it is when they fall like that. Liam is a climber and I always have to keep him within sight. I just can't always keep him within arm's reach. Lately, the climbing has gotten so bad I have had to tie the table and chairs' legs together, and take him into the bathroom with me every time. Twice I've taken him to the doctor for climbing incidents. Not fun.
Oh those mouth and head wounds are the worst! Jackson almost put his teeth through his bottom lip once, but the bleeding stopped so I didn't take him to the doctor. It got infected, so I took him in and she said he really should have had stitches!! Who knows!?!?!
Post a Comment